Frequently Asked Questions:
What do I need to do before surgery?
We often have questions about pre-operative instructions. Our office has prepared the following list of instructions for our patients.
- If you have morning surgery, do not eat or drink anything after mid-night the night before.
If you have afternoon surgery, do not eat or drink anything for 8 hours before surgery.
- A responsible adult must be with you during your entire stay with us and be available to drive you home. This person may not leave the office at any time while you are here without special permission from the doctor.
- All minors must have a parent or legal guardian to sign a permit or consent form for oral and maxillofacial surgery.
- Plan to be in the office for approximately one hour. Appointments are made for a precise time but in the practice of oral and maxillofacial surgery, delays are sometimes unavoidable.
- Do brush your teeth and cleanse your mouth the morning of your surgery to help avoid infection.
- Wear loose clothing with short sleeves. Please, no turtlenecks!
- Do not wear contact lenses.
- Do not wear eye makeup, heavy face makeup, wigs or hairpieces.
- If you are prevented from keeping your appointment, please notify this office as soon as possible.
- Have a pillow, light blanket, trash can liner, and a box of Kleenex in the car.
- Have an ice pack available for use at home.
- Prescriptions and post-operative instructions will be given on the day of surgery. In addition an appointment for a post-operative visit will be made.
Email comments, questions or suggestions to:
Steven R. Tucker DMD, PSC
909 Scherm Rd
Owensboro, KY 42301
Welcome / Practice Locations / Educational Experiences and Honors / Diagnostic Procedures / Surgical Procedures / Frequently Asked Questions / Case of the Month / Guestbook / Links / Home